Sunday, August 24, 2008

Theory of mind... here we come!

Today I got some nice, explicit evidence that Finn is getting theory of mind. Theory of mind is a really cool cognitive (or even social cognitive) ability. It has to do with being able to understand that other people out there have minds, just like you do, but that their minds are separate from yours. Young children don't have this yet, as shown by the fact that they will often assume that you know what they know, even if it's pretty clear you don't. Like they might ask you who gave them the cookie, even though you weren't there when it was given to them and, if asked, they would correctly be able to say that you weren't there. Still, they assume you must know, because they know (why kids constantly ask questions that they already know the answer to is an entirely different question and a complete mystery, to me anyway!).

So this morning I was sitting at the dining room table with Finn. We were both eating breakfast, and the TV was on in the other room (sad to say, but this is a frequent occurrence during our meals). The way our living room/dining room is laid out, there is a very open (but not completely nonexistent) wall between the two, and from Finn's seat you can see the TV but from my seat there is wall/closet in the way. In the context of talking about what was on, Finn said to me, "I can see the TV, but you can't."

"YES! THAT'S RIGHT!" I said back to him. Ok, so maybe I didn't actually scream it, but I'm sure I said it with gushing enthusiasm and pride, because I recognized right away that a cool new connection was charging itself up in his head.

Oh, and can I also mention that I am unabashedly proud of the fact that Finn knows what a brain is and where it goes. I ask him to show people (Grandma and Grandpa, for example) where his brain is, and he patiently points yet again to his head. That's MY boy!

Man, my kids must think I'm absolutely insane sometimes! Oh well.

No comments: