Saturday, June 16, 2012

A Finn quarterly report

So we're into the summer with a 5-year-old and a 2-year-old. Little things are getting me down, so it's probably a good time to go over the good and the bad and revel a little in the good.


Finn:


Major News Stories:


  • Finn is officially signed up for kindergarten, although sometimes I have my doubts about his readiness. Still, academically he's on target, and I think he's probably as far enough along in the social/emotional area. I'm sure there are other kids who are no more ready than he is--it's just that I microanalyze these points (that's the hardship of having a mommy who's a psychologist--sorry kids!).



  • This week is swimming lessons, and he's gone into them with gusto!

Current Obsessions:



  • One guess... yep, you got it... MARIO. Finn is, as ever, completely obsessed with all things Mario. Not that we really mind--we certainly encourage it via birthday party themes, allowed video games, etc. He still loves kittens, and acts the role sometimes, but not as often as before. He's more into legos now than he used to be. But over all, it's Mario that stands out as the clear favorite.



  • Notable LACK of obsession: his bobby. He no longer carries bobby around so much. Bobby stays home for most trips (including hour+ trips in the car). He (Bobby) often is not to be found downstairs. We didn't per se encourage this change--it just evolved naturally.

Unfortunates:



  • Finn and I are having some issues dealing with each other lately, even though we love each other very much. I feel really tense and upset frequently by his actions, and I respond in a way that upsets him. It's hard. I'm not sure what changed to make it this way. Finn has been hitting a lot more often, and sometimes seems unable to acknowledge why this is not okay (I can understand him doing it without thinking, but I think at 5 he should be able to reflect on why it was wrong a little bit--at least to say that hitting hurts other people). He probably does know, but he seems unable to address it at the moment, and I guess I'm not great at waiting for resolution on these things. He also melts down very easily, esp. with transitions away from things that are fun, which is of course understandable, but the manner in which he does it is very regressive to me. These things are the main issues for me in terms of feeling like he may not actually be ready for kindergarten despite being old enough. I think that I react a lot to that feeling, in a way that doesn't really help the issue at the moment.



  • Once again, I have to say that Finn watches too much TV/video games. He really is so driven toward those media--he still likes to play physically and can be very imaginative, though, so that's a little bit of a relief.

Good things:



  • Finn is very loving, and that is so good. Because of all of the hitting and difficulty controlling his emotions, I think the fact that he is loving inside is really important. He's also very good at sharing and playing with his sister, he's very generous with her and with his friends (e.g., happily giving away his Mario cards to one of his friends, despite his level of obsession with Mario).



  • Finn has a good sense of humor and enjoys laughing. He likes telling jokes and likes to make up jokes. Sometimes his made-up jokes don't quite make sense to the rest of us, but he still does it.



  • Ok, this could sort of be seen as an unfortunate in some ways, but Finn is a natural born commentator, and what I like about that is that it is simply his daddy's genes shining right through. They both are quite incapable of NOT commentating what's going on, which is annoying at times, but it's so uniquely and definitively "them" that I love it.



  • Finn loves me. That's strange to put here, but sometimes given my crabbiness, or the way I yell so loudly when mad, or my inability to listen to the cacophony that is a house-full of kids, or my lack of presence when I'm at work... I'm just quite grateful at the extent to which he does love me. And I so love my little squirt!

Common sayings:



  • I have to run and so don't have time to write much here. But I'll say one thing, just so that I don't neglect my duty in reporting. Sometimes, now, Finn says "Mom" instead of "Mommy" and you know what... it sounds really weird!

1 comment:

sarah said...

This was a very old post stuck in draft form, so I posted it today (June, 2012).